PATRON for universities
PATRON for the academic libraries
Academic libraries frequently have got quite different needs from the public libraries. PATRON system fulfils the specific requirements which stem from the target group expectations, university’s organisation, procedure of making library collections accessible as well as the way in which the are being worked out. PATRON assures also integration with the NUKAT catalogue which gives a library many benefits:
- library collections can be seen in the central catalogue presenting bibliographical description of all of the Polish academic libraries,
- the possibility to getting to the collections by means of GoogleBooks.com,
- the possibility to search for bibliographical descriptions by means of WorldCat – a union catalogue connecting collections of several dozen thousands of libraries from more than 100 countries which are participants of the Online Computer Library Center,
- library’s collections become visible all over the world and the name of university starts to appear in global catalogues,
- scientific dissertations of library’s staff will be used and cited more often in other researches all over the world.
The characteristic feature of the academic libraries is their complicated system of making the collections accessible. Various types of collections are made accessible for various periods and for different users. At the same time, financial fines depending on collections types and reader’s categories can vary as well. All of those problems are solved by PATRON system which enables for an independent principles formulation as it comes to the popularization of books. PATRON system has got also a multi-awarded on-line catalogue OPAC WWW. This precise tool gives many searching opportunities. PATRON allows e.g. to:
- Add search indices e. g. the index of academic conferences,
- Add and search for new types of specific documents, strongly represented in the academic libraries such as scientific research, MA thesis, PhD thesis.
The combination of new indices and types of documents in OPAC WWW module gives a library and academy a powerful searching tool which will allow a student, researcher and a scientist to reach precisely for the required information. OPAC WWW is facilitated with the possibility of graphic files presentation beside the bibliographic descriptions. A library thanks to this can present e.g. abstracts or table of contents which also makes it easier to get to the most valuable scientific reference books. Our online catalogue assures also:
- The possibility of adding new reviews and commentaries to the bibliographic descriptions both by readers and staff,
- The possibility of correspondence with the reader,
- Presentation of automatic, created on-line list of novelties,
- Presentation of statics concerning books collection’s usage,
- Possibility of self-service enrollment for the library,
- Standard ordering, booking and creation of your own lists and collections,
- Full multilingualism.
As a result a library is available for the reader 24/7 which is so much expected nowadays by students and library staff. OPAC WWW of PATRON system can be seen e.g. on the website of Łazarski’s Academy.