What RFID is?
RFID technology (Radio Frequency Identification) automates, facilitates library collections management and successfully protects them from theft.
On library collections protected by RFID system we stick special labels with an electronic layout (so-called tags) which allow to save some information on it. Those data can be read by means of our RFID devices e.g. security antenna system, self check posts, return bins, top table or mobile readers (so-called Wands). In each tag there are saved information which allow for:
- Quick and simultaneous registration of both borrowings and returns of many items at the same time without the necessity to read barcodes.
- Usage of devices for self-service registration of both borrowings and returns.
- Installation of return bins working 24 hours a day.
- Carrying out scontrum in a very quick and reliable way by means of a Wand (mobile reader) without the necessity of taking the registered items out of the shelves.
- Finding books which are misplaced.
Rising the alarm in case of crossing the security antenna system for books with a status „not borrowed”.
What benefits does it give?
Apart from the basic benefit which is protection of library collections from theft, RFID system significantly improves library’s work, speeds circulation of library’s holdings, gives greater accessibility and higher level of their usage. Modernization of library services attracts new readers, improves library’s image and relations between a library and its users. Library’s workshop gets facilitated with reliable first rate quality devices allowing for easier and quicker command over the library’s holdings which at the same time frees librarians from most of the technical, time-consuming activities connected with library’s collections management.
RFID implementation can be divided into several stages. The first effect which we achieve after placing tags and activating the book borrowing registration will be considerable boost in readers service efficiency. The order of the following stages will depend on library’s needs and priorities:
- Installation of the security antenna system will activate library’s collections protection,
- Facilitation with a moveable reader will enable quick and faultless scontrum,
- Installation of self-service devices additionally improves comfort of readers service and will make those activities less time-consuming.
Why not EM?
The appearance of RFID technology in library applications resulted in the resignation of libraries from usage of simple systems of collections security similar to those which are used in retail. Those systems are, depending on the applied technology, characterised by EM or RF symbols and they allow only for library’s collections security not giving any additional functions present in RFID system. We should also realise that those are closed systems which cannot be expanded further to the RFID system. Moreover, EM system cause also many false alarms which do not occur in case of RFID.
If your library fulfils at least one of the below mentioned conditions:
- Includes valuable, worth protection collections.
- Notifies looses connected with theft.
- Serves high volume of readers.
- Applies or plans to use free access to library holdings.
- Employs or plans to employ new faculty librarians.
There is no doubt the implementation of RFID system will bring measurable benefits to your library.
In matters related to RFID systems please contact:
Mr. Jakub Krysiński
phone: +48 58 669 80 77
Feel free to contact us!